China doesn’t want to win the Glascow Climate Beauty Contest. It just wants the other contestants to keep fighting for the booby prize. They win the trophy and lose the trade war.
China’s great green theatrical ploy fools the gullible Western leaders
Coal power is the cheapest source of electricity in the world and China controls most of it. Meanwhile it’s doing a smashing job of cheering on the other competitors as they take Coal Chastity Vows and run barefoot, naked and green into the quicksand pit of Energy Doom.
The UK and Europe are already thigh-deep, struggling with an energy shakedown of their own making. Yet China, with more coal power than the entire rest of the world combined, puts on the Green-cloak, beaming from Coal Mountain to tell us what sacrifices it will make.
This is the same China that built three times more coal power than the rest of the world did last year. The nation in 2020 that opened more new coal power than the rest of the world shut down.
China’s net construction of coal power capacity within the country grew by 29.8 gigawatts, essentially wiping out the gains of the rest of world, where net coal power capacity decreased by 17.2 gigawatts, according to the Centre.
So China makes a big show of shutting down foreign funding for coal plants. It’s not promising to shut actual coal plants, just to not fund even more overseas than it already has. And in any case, those foreign plants China is helping to build are but a tiny 8% of the size of it’s own gargantuan domestic power.
Domestically, China produces about 1,200 gigawatts of energy from coal, according to Greenpeace China. The coal power plants it has helped build abroad produce less than 100 gigawatts, the group said.
And who can forget, in 2017 China made a big show of cancelling more than 100 coal plants. But in 2018, China was caught secretly building those same coal plants instead. Since China lies, all these promises in the lead up to Glasgow are just the breadcrumb trail to CCP trade-war supremacy that China is hoping the West will suck up obediently.
As the GWPF points out, China is selling the solar and wind power the West is hobbling itself with. No nation can compete with Chinese cheap coal fired manufacturing and the bargain slave labor deal. The West congratulates itself on how cheap renewables have become without realizing the irony that the West couldn’t possibly use their own renewables to make the renewables to sell to themselves. Every nation with lots of wind and solar power also has the most expensive electricity on Earth.
GWPF spells out the game:
China plays its green card, promising to sell the world its wind and solar projects produced by cheap coal
1. By building up its coal-powered economy, [China] can continue to produce and export renewables much cheaper than most OECD nations. China will thus cement its role as the world’s foremost producer and exporter of renewable energy.
2. By ending support for building coal-fired power plants abroad it reduces the pressure on coal demand, improving China’s domestic coal market which is currently struggling with high coal prices.
3. By announcing this move, China is playing the green card in the run-up to COP26 in order to reduce Western pressure and kick the ball back into Joe Biden’s court.
If and when China stops adding coal power on domestically, it’s only because it has the fastest growing nuclear power fleet in the world and it was going to stop coal power anyway.
China, after all, is poised to be the largest global player in nuclear power as soon as 2030.
By the time the West realizes it was tricked out of coal power, it will have lost the nuclear race too.
In related posts:
- Chinese Prof says US was defeated in 2020 “in a Biological War”
- Chinese official says solar and wind are too intermittent and unstable. They must use coal (for the moment).
- China took Manufacturing, then Tech and the West gave them away. Now it’s come for biotech…
- Time to boycott Slave-made Solar Panels?
Original pic of Chairman Mao by by Daderot. Adapted by Jo Nova.
September 22, 2021