This compilation of my 2020 “If you need more evidence that climate is about communism…” tweets lets climate activists present their real goal in their own words. Don’t just accept what climate skeptics have been saying for the past several decades. But do take the activists at their word. Keep in mind this small collection is merely what I have tweeted this year under this particular rubric. There is a motherlode of similar sentiments and positions all over the Internet.
1. Pope Francis. “The current economic system [of market capitalism has failed and] is unsustainable.” Associated Press, October 10, 2020.
2. Sir David Attenborough. Capitalism is the main driver of ecological breakdown. BBC, October 8, 2020.
3. Greta Thunberg (Activist). “It’s time to abolish billionaires.” Reuters, January 17, 2020.
4. Greta Thunberg’s #SchoolStrike4Climate. Make capitalism history. From the Sep 25, 2020 school strike in Aschaffenberg, Germany.
5. Pope Francis. Coronavirus intersects with climate, which requires “change, both in production and consumption patterns and in private and public actions. It is time for a deep and global ecological conversion.” Associated Press, May 18, 2020.
6. Extinction Rebellion. “Extinction Rebellion plans to target an economic system that is “causing cancer in our planet.” The Times (UK), May 4, 2020.
7. Sunrise Movement. (Green New Deal advocacy group). “Climate activists are ready to fight for Sanders…’The Democrats are planning their own funeral if they nominate Joe.’” Washington Post, March 5, 2020.
8. Washington Post. Editorial explains how a carbon tax would redistribute wealth. Washington Post, February 13, 2020.
9. The Nation. “We need to seriously question the ideal of private homeownership.” The Nation, December 26, 2019.
10. Naomi Klein (Canadian leftist and author). “We’re in the midst of a democratic socialist revival, which is breathing oxygen into the political imagination and made us think maybe we can [take climate action].” HuffPost.com, January 5, 2020.
11. Jamie Henn (Co-founder, 350.org). “Coronavirus has basically turned off the global economy. Let’s install a new operating system before we turn it back on.” Townhall.com, April 22, 2020.
12. Eric Holthaus (Meteorologist). “The climate emergency is now inseparable from the broader struggle for justice in all its forms.” Sept 5, 2020.
13. Yanis Varoufakis (Economics professor, Greece). “Once the epidemic ends, we must demonstrate that a better, green, post-capitalist lifestyle can be fun!”, Twitter.com, March 13, 2020.
14. Earth Day. Culmination of 50th Earth Day celebration timed to end on May 1, International Workers Day. Washington Post, April 22, 2020.
15. Rhiana Gunn Wright (Activist). “Climate is moving from being seen as a raceless, ‘scientific’ issue to being recognized as another place where outcomes are shaped by legacies and systems of oppression.” Rolling Stone, August 11, 2020.
16. Ilhan Omar’s daughter, Isra Hirsi (Activist). “I hate capitalism.” Twitter.com, May 31, 2020.
17. Andreas Malm (Research, Lund University). “To halt climate change, we need an ecological Leninism.” JacobinMag.org, June 16, 2020.
18. Edward Luce (Financial Times columnist). “Democracies are ill-suited to deal with climate change.” Financial Times, January 5, 2020.
19. Climate Assembly (Citizens group established by the UK government). “Reaching Britain’s climate target must be fair for all.” Reuters, September 15, 2020.
20. Just Transition Commission (Scottish government climate advisory group). “We simply will not succeed if justice for workers and communities is not at the core of our approach. The actions required by 2045 will transform all sectors of our economy and society.” The Times (UK), February 28, 2020.
21. French Socialist Party. Moves its headquarters near the French Communist Party in order to integrate the French left for the “climate revolution.” New York Times, January 12, 2020.
22. Spain’s leftist coalition government. “The leftist coalition has put forward a [climate] bill…” Reuters, June 24, 2020.
23. Extinction Rebellion. Climate activists march in solidarity with Marxist Black Lives Matter. The Times (UK), August 26, 2020.
24. Sunny Hundal (Leftist British journalist). “It’s controversial to say this on the left but we can tackle the climate crisis without socialism and we should.” The Times (UK), January 6,2020.
25. Sir David Attenborough (Naturalist). Calls for an end to democracy to fix climate. iNews, January 26, 2020.
26. Layla Moran (Liberal Democrat Member of UK Parliament). “Decarbonize capitalism.” The Times (UK), June 22, 2020.
27. Hans Christoph Hirt (Manager of $875 billion fund). “Companies should have a ‘social license’ to operate, including ‘mothballing dividends’, because of climate.” Reuters, April 15 2020.
28. David Stasavage (NYU prof). “Constitutional checks and balances… make it far more difficult to respond to critical challenges that require collective action such as saving our climate.” Washington Post, October 9, 2020.
29. Clover Hogan (Youth climate activist). “The climate crisis is the symptom of broken systems… The bedrock of these broken systems is a system of capitalism…”, New York Times, October 9, 2020.
Even media climate bedwetters like The Times (UK) recognizes the climate movement has been hijacked by communists.
30. The Times (UK). “Extinction Rebellion has allowed a hard core of ideologues and Marxist infiltrators to dictate its agenda.” Sept. 7, 2020.
In conclusion and as this non-communist observes:
31. Melody McIntyre “Their main objective is to bring down Democracy”, January 11, 2020.
October 12, 2020 at 10:22PM